The Daily News’ Rich Cimini writes today about the Jets who have contract issues heading into this offseason. With apologies to those who may get offended by big block quotes, here we go:
Here’s a quick analysis of Tannenbaum’s state-of-the-union address yesterday, breaking it down by individual player:
* Thomas Jones: The two sides are in different ballparks. You have to figure that Jones wants a contract extension, coming off a career year. But it sounds like the Jets don’t want to dole out that $3 million signing bonus. I’d say it’s 50-50 that Jones returns.
* Vernon Gholston: Tannenbaum says they’ve decided to keep him. I almost fell out of my chair when he said there’s no objective data that suggests Gholston isn’t passionate about football. Throw out the data, Mike, just trust your eyes and ears.
* Kerry Rhodes: Bizarre situation. The Jets now say they want him back, and they say there are no contractual issues (i.e. a proposed pay cut) in the way. So why does Rhodes need to have another sitdown with Rex Ryan? I think the Jets have presented a set of ground rules to Rhodes, demanding total commitment, and they’re waiting on his response. It still wouldn’t shock me if they trade him.
* Braylon Edwards: He’ll get the first- and third-round tender. Sounds like they really want him back. We’ll take them at their word.
* Kellen Clemens: He’ll get a second-round tender (his draft round), but that doesn’t mean he’s back. Got the impression that Tannenbaum wants to add a backup with more experience.
* Leon Washington: He’ll get a tender, probably a second- or first-round tender. It sounds like he’s ahead in his rehab schedule, but it might be a reach to say he’s going to be 100% by next season.
* Alan Faneca: The Jets want to keep the OL together, but they may try to come after some of Faneca’s $7.5 million in salary.
1) Thomas Jones — The Jets need to find a way to keep him, even if it’s just a one year deal. I don’t think he has 3 or 4 years left in them, yet he does so much for the Jets on and off the field that he has to be brought back for next year in my opinion.
2) Vernon Gholston — Why the heck are you bringing him back? Please, explain this to me. He is using up a roster spot that could be used for someone who can HAVE AN ACTUAL AFFECT ON THE GAME. Get rid of him, please. Thank you.
3) Kerry Rhodes — I actually don’t have as much against him as some other Jets fans do — and he played great down the stretch. So if they can work it out and keep him, I’m all for it.
4) Braylon Edwards — It sounds like the Jets are likely to keep him, and I’m all for that as well.
5) Kellen Clemens — Let him go, bring in a veteran, even if he doesn’t win the backup job, and let him tutor Mark Sanchez.
6) Leon Washington — BRING HIM BACK!!! No matter what it takes he is the game changer the Jets have and need. BRING HIM BACK!
7) Alan Faneca — That offensive line is a menace and needs to stay a family. Bring him back to the Jets. Please.
Read Full Post »